Sunday, April 6, 2008

Un expected rains...

A few friends and I were just chatting and I said that I thought that it might rain that night especially since there were a few clouds in the sky. My friend and I even bet on it.

That night while I was watching a movie I suddenly heard someone banging on my door. It was my friend and that was the first time I realised that I had won the bet and that it was raining heavily.

Many of my hostel-mates and even a few friends of mine even went out and got drenched in the rain. Some just stood in the rain and the others danced.

Though the rains have brought relief to the students and localites (especially as it rained during Holi), they also caused a lot of problems. From what I’ve heard from the locals there have never been rains during this month before and that they are surprised as the rains start only around June- July.

The rains have mainly affected the farmers as many had just started sowing their seeds and had not made a path for the water to flow out of their fields thus flooding them instead. Also people of Raichur were affected as the red chillies that they had put to dry were soaked and were spoilt.

There were also many other incidents that occurred due to the rains such as accidents, people getting struck by lightning, people falling sick due to the sudden change in climate, people are getting stuck while travelling from one place to the other by bus especially those who have to go through the ghat section, etc.

What is the cause for such unexpected rains? Well according to a few it is due to a change in the ocean currents. But I feel that all these climatic changes are mainly to global warming that is taking place at a large scale throughout the world and if something is not done to reduce it then we are in for trouble.

No comments: