Sunday, April 6, 2008

Damsels in Hostels

My room-mate came upto me the other day and told me that her friends had a new girl who had just moved into their room. I asked her what’s new in that, I mean if a guy had moved into a girl’s hostel that would be something new. But she then told me that that girl was married to a French guy (!). Ok that was interesting… but what she told me next was unexpected. What, you ask? Not only was she married but she was actually pregnant!!


Wow.


A French husband and a mother-to-be, that’s quite a killer combo. But in Manipal that’s nothing new. There are many students who are either engaged or married and are living in hostels. There was this girl, a neighbour of mine, who was married and for some reason didn’t own a cell phone. And every time her hubby called, the matron screeched into the microphone- PROMILAAAA!!!! Husbandu… this made all the girls want to actually donate Rs 2 each and buy her a phone!!


Jokes apart I’ve always wondered what these females do in hostels far away from their

(k)nights in shining armour (!). I mean single-dom and hostels go hand in hand with each other but being married is a different thing all together.


Do they imagine the vamp in the latest K series to be their mother-in-laws when they hijack the TV room and don’t let us watch the world cup final?? And anyway aren’t you supposed to be a bit saner when you are married? I’d seriously not expect an aunty to fight with me over silly issues like who uses the washing machine first!!


But actually when I think about their situation I feel sorry for them. A friend’s friend just got engaged and is going to have an arranged marriage. Juggling between talking to her fiancée on phone and spending some time with her friends in her last semester of college and at the same time studying for the upcoming exams is pretty much all that she does these days.



As if its not enough for women to manage households, cook, bear kids, please their in-laws, and work, they now have to get double MBAs from premiere institutes. And live in dingy hostel rooms with bandicoots, snakes and what not.


All said and done, if I were married to a cute French guy and was pregnant, I would be comfortably living in a villa by the sea-side getting pampered! With my knight in shining armour at beck and call.

3 comments:

ruchika said...

hahaha
hilarious!!i can never forget that woman 'promilaaa' myself.. the screecing voice of the matron is still fresh in my memory..hehe;-)

nice blog..:-)

ashima said...

hmmm my first blog with a LOT of help from rags. thx anyway :)

ruchika said...

*screeching*, i meant:-P